Chocolate orange cake -
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder (I always use Bournville)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar (could also use apple cider vinegar)
1 teaspoon vanilla OR orange essence
1 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 175C and lightly grease a 9"x9" baking pan (or similar sized round pan).
- Stir together the dry ingredients in a large bowl, make a well in the middle.
- Mix wet ingredients together in another bowl, then pour into the well in the dry ingredients.
- Stir until just combined and no large lumps are left - don't over-beat or the cake will become dense.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 28 minutes, until centre springs back to the touch or a knife inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool completely.
Chocolate frosting -
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2-3 tablespoons milk
- Beat together the butter and the cocoa until a smooth paste is formed.
- Add icing sugar by the 1/2 cup until thick and doughy. Stir in the vanilla.
- Add some of the milk until the frosting is smooth, glossy and has the desired spreading consistency. Add more sugar for a stiffer frosting that can be piped onto the cake.